Depending on the variation of poker, a poker hand will have different numbers of betting rounds. In Seven Card Stud, for example, there are five; in Five Card Draw, there are two; in Texas Hold ‘em, there are four. Each player is then dealt five cards. They may discard up to three cards, and be dealt the amount discarded, in order to improve their hand.
After the players have prepared their hands, the betting round begins. Each player does one of four things:
– checks if no bet has been made in the circle yet, and they do not want to bet,
– calls to offer an equal bet as the last bet made,
– folds to back out of the poker hand,
– or raises to raise the bet, restarting the betting process.
Betting moves clockwise around the circle until every player has either folded or called. All active players (players who have not folded) put the highest bet made during the round into the pot. The process repeats the amount of times the poker variant calls for. Once the betting rounds are finished, the players reveal their cards; whoever has the best hand takes the pot. This is known as the showdown of a poker hand. If there is only one active player, they may take the pot without revealing their cards.
Here is a list of the standard poker hands, organized from lowest to highest:
– Nothing: A hand that doesn’t fit into any of the following hands. Also known as a High Hand or No Pair
– Pair: Two cards of equal rank, and three of different rank.
– Two Pair: Two pairs, and a fifth card of different rank.
– Three of a Kind: Three cards of equal rank, and two of different rank.
– Straight: Five cards in consecutive rank order.
– Flush: Five cards of the same suit.
– Full House: Three of a kind and a pair in the same hand.
– Four of a Kind: Four cards of equal rank.
– Straight Flush: Five cards in consecutive order and the same suit.
Cards also have rank, with Aces as the highest, and twos the lowest. These come into play when two players have the same hand (pairs, for example). The hand made up of the higher cards is better than the other.…